Sunday, April 26, 2009

Manson Inspiration: Personal Blog Post


Marilyn Manson has been seen as a sadistic shock rocker who kills kittens at his concerts. Even though the thought of him killing kittens at rock concerts is absolutely ludicrous and false, he does engage in crude and provocative movements on stage. However, it is that exact shock he creates with his music and also actions that I find to be so inspirational. I am a filmmaker and he is a writer and musician but I find links between his music and my filmmaking that enable me to draw from his art.

Manson whose birth name is Brian Warner was born in Ohio in 1969. Throughout his young life he was teased and harassed for his appearance and demeanor, which fed his desire to rebel against the typical. He was tall and gawky and instead of hiding his physical appearance he embraced it by wearing platform shoes and lingerie. All of his lyrics are honest and a wonderful mixture of disturbing and beautiful. I have been a fan of his for over nine years and I find that he is very misunderstood by many people.

 

His art is not the only aspect of my life that he has influenced. I find him to be a very intelligent and honorable person. By reading his book I have learned that he loves animals and has a close relationship with his parents. After watching the documentary “Bowling for Columbine” about the school-shooting massacre that occurred fifteen minutes from my hometown, Manson’s interview was the only thing that stuck out in my mind. When Michael Moore asked Manson what he would have said to the two school shooters Manson responded that he would not have said anything, but rather would have listened to what they had to say. I thought that was remarkable and possibly the least selfish and most understanding answer anyone could have provided for such a question. He understands those who are misunderstood by everyone else and gives a comfort to those who are cast out. I feel he wants to help others like him and even though I admit his drug use is nothing to honor, his intelligence, humor and artistic talents are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment